WORS #2_crystal lake

My mind has been circling for the past couple days on what say about the second stop on the WORS calender. A full fledge race report really bores me sometimes, this being the time...but I'll give you just a bit.

photo by Mark Schindel

No missed pedals or take downs off the start of WORS #2 had me latched on to the front of the group. That in itself was a relief. Into the single track up a set of punchy climbs and my punch is lacking a bit. Nathan goes around and seconds later not so gingerly hammers his front tire into a bump turn burping a bit of air. Now it's me with Tristan just behind. Tristan makes his way around and I loose ground a bit only to regain it just as the single track starts again on lap two. I take reign midway thru lap two, and at this point I've got a pretty good idea Jesse, Brian and Mark are gone so I'm just thinking about 4th and 5th. Not given up hope but just being realistic. Lap 3 we pass Mark with a flat and a bit further on I lose Tristan. Now I'm in 3rd. Head down and givin' it all I got. The remainder of the lap is flying by...but not quick enough. Out of seemingly no where Ted's on my wheel. That dudes a ninja, where'd he come from? I do the gentlemanly thing, let him by and try and regain my composure. Just as the final section of one track ends Ted put her in the big dog and my answer to it came up short. Bummed to lose a 3rd place but I gave it my all.

With all that race blow by blow nonsense said, that was only 2 or so hours of the long weekend. The ride in the car was longer. Racin's fun but sometimes it's just everything leading to the race and post race that makes the weekend. Here's a few other tidbits that made the weekend.


Talking about vacation and future plans with Amelia. Arriving at the beautiful Crystal Lake. The camp itself. The sweet accommodations, thanks Christine! The preride after regaining some riding skills. Seeing all the racer folk. Talking racing and riding and life. Great dinner and dinner company. Sleeping arrangements. Fireside chats. Not having Polska throw firecrackers, what gives? Cold walks to the outhouse. The outhouse itself. Having the citizen and sport races go right by the front of the cabin. The race. Post race discussions, about the race for one, but about all the other interesting things that people do with there lives or are going to do outside riding. The stop at Arbys and Culvers and the beautiful company on the long ride home...that's what made the weekend.

As always, mucho thanks to all the sponsors. Adventure 212.
Specialized. Hayes. Manitou. Sun Ringle. Ergon. Scrub rotors. Cyclops power. Oakley Rx. Sram.





No comments: